Sunday, September 18, 2011

Year 1, Project 2: The Zen Line

Assignment: Using watercolor, create a "zen line" of a natural object.
Length of Assignment: 1 week

Design 1 is split up into 2 sections: Monday, Wednesday, Friday are design days and Tuesday and Thursday are graphic days. This was a graphics assignment during the same time as the line with 3 corners project. The class always has you working on 2 "projects" at the same time, and later on, the 2 sections will begin to merge with one another. The project was very self explanitorty and simple. We had to create 50 zen lines, which are essentially quick stroked watercolor lines that create the essence of an object, pick our favorite one, and put it on a 11"x11" piece of white paper. Here you can see some of those 50 zen lines. I'll let you guess what it was I was "zenning."

I had a lot of fun with this project. Before this I tended to get really frustrated with water color because it never really did what I wanted it to do. Through this project I learned different techniques with using different brushes, various amounts of water, and how to create really great textures to creat that "essence." I also had to buy some somewhat nice brushes and watercolor in a tube, so maybe my problem before was that I was just working with crap.










Final Selection:

No comments:

Post a Comment